Seated Calf Raise overview
The Seated Calf Raise is an isolation exercise specifically targeting the calf muscles. Performed in a seated position, this exercise provides a controlled environment to focus on the soleus and gastrocnemius muscles of the calves. Explore the specifications, step-by-step instructions, and variations to optimize the benefits of the Seated Calf Raise in your lower body training routine.
The Seated Calf Raise primarily targets the soleus and gastrocnemius muscles of the calves.
Seated Calf Raise – how to perform
- Step 1: Begin by selecting an appropriate seated calf raise machine. Adjust the machine to your height.
- Step 2: Sit on the machine with your back against the backrest and the balls of your feet on the foot platform.
- Step 3: Place the padded lever or weight across your thighs, just above your knees.
- Step 4: Grasp the handles or bars provided on the machine for stability.
- Step 5: Engage your core and keep your back against the backrest.
- Step 6: Inhale and press through the balls of your feet, raising your heels as high as possible.
- Step 7: Contract your calf muscles at the top of the movement.
- Step 8: Exhale and slowly lower your heels back down, feeling a stretch in your calves.
Perform each repetition with controlled movements, focusing on the contraction of the calf muscles.
- Maintain proper posture with your back against the backrest throughout the movement.
- Keep a controlled pace during both the concentric (lifting) and eccentric (lowering) phases.
- Engage your core to stabilize your body on the machine.
- Use a weight that challenges you while allowing for proper form.
- Single-Leg Seated Calf Raise: Perform the exercise one leg at a time for a unilateral variation, focusing on each calf individually.
- High-Intensity Techniques: Incorporate techniques such as drop sets or rest-pause sets for added intensity.
- Smith Machine Seated Calf Raise: Use a Smith machine for seated calf raises, adjusting the barbell height for your comfort.
- Seated Calf Raise on a Leg Press Machine: Perform seated calf raises on a leg press machine for a different angle of engagement.