Lying Dumbbell Extension overview
The Lying Dumbbell Extension, also known as Dumbbell Skull Crusher or Lying Tricep Extension, is an effective isolation exercise targeting the triceps. Performed lying down, this movement minimizes strain on the shoulders and emphasizes triceps engagement. Explore the specifications, step-by-step instructions, and variations to optimize the benefits of the Lying Dumbbell Extension in your tricep training routine.
The Lying Dumbbell Extension primarily targets the triceps.
Lying Dumbbell Extension – how to perform
- Step 1: Lie on a flat bench with a dumbbell in each hand, arms fully extended above your chest.
- Step 2: Hold the dumbbells with an overhand grip, palms facing each other, and arms perpendicular to the floor.
- Step 3: Inhale and slowly lower the dumbbells toward the sides of your head by bending your elbows.
- Step 4: Descend until your triceps are parallel to the ground or as low as your flexibility allows.
- Step 5: Exhale and push the dumbbells back up to the starting position, fully extending your arms.
Perform each repetition with controlled movements, focusing on the contraction of the triceps.
- Keep your elbows stationary and pointed toward the ceiling throughout the movement.
- Maintain a stable and relaxed grip on the dumbbells.
- Control the descent and ascent to maximize triceps engagement.
- Use a weight that challenges you while allowing for proper form.
- Single-Arm Lying Dumbbell Extension: Focus on one arm at a time for unilateral training.
- Skull Crusher with Barbell: Perform the exercise using a barbell for a different grip and muscle activation.
- Lying Dumbbell Skull Crusher with Twist: Add a rotation at the top of the movement for increased muscle engagement.
- Lying Tricep Extension with Bands: Attach resistance bands to the dumbbells for added resistance and variability.