Cable Preacher Curl overview
The Cable Preacher Curl is an effective bicep exercise that provides constant tension on the muscles throughout the range of motion. This variation is performed using a cable machine and a preacher bench, targeting the biceps for optimal development. Explore the specifications, step-by-step instructions, and variations to optimize the benefits of the Cable Preacher Curl in your arm training routine.
The Cable Preacher Curl primarily targets the biceps.
Cable Preacher Curl – how to perform
- Step 1: Set up a cable machine with an adjustable pulley system and a preacher bench.
- Step 2: Attach a straight or EZ bar handle to the lower pulley and adjust the preacher bench so that your upper arms rest comfortably against the pad.
- Step 3: Sit on the preacher bench, facing the cable machine, with your chest and upper arms against the pad.
- Step 4: Grasp the bar with an underhand grip (palms facing upward), hands placed slightly wider than shoulder-width apart.
- Step 5: Inhale and curl the bar towards your shoulders, keeping your upper arms stationary and elbows close to your torso.
- Step 6: Hold the contracted position for a brief moment, feeling the peak contraction in your biceps.
- Step 7: Exhale and slowly lower the bar back to the starting position, fully extending your arms.
Perform each repetition with controlled movements, focusing on the contraction of the biceps.
- Maintain a stable seated position with your chest and upper arms against the preacher bench.
- Keep your upper arms stationary to isolate the biceps.
- Control the descent and ascent of the bar to maximize muscle engagement.
- Use a weight that challenges you while allowing for proper form.
- Single-Arm Cable Preacher Curl: Perform the exercise one arm at a time for increased focus and muscle isolation.
- Hammer Grip Cable Preacher Curl: Hold the bar with a neutral grip (palms facing each other) to target different parts of the biceps.
- Cross-Body Cable Preacher Curl: Curl the bar across your body to engage different angles of the biceps.
- Seated Cable Preacher Curl: Perform the exercise while seated for added stability and focus.